Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Life here is no picnic

Whew! Now that Christmas is over and the boys are back in school, I’m hoping to get some kind of routine down again. I have to admit, it was a nice break from being in the car so much.

Once the new Christmas toys were sort of put away, I decided to tackle decorating Sadie’s room. Our pastor’s daughters had offered to help paint at Thanksgiving dinner and I was definitely going to make sure they meant it! Elizabeth came over on Monday and she and I did the taping, priming, and first coat of each color. Then, on Thursday, Becki and Elizabeth put the other two coats of each color on while I sewed Sadie’s crib bumper. Thankfully my mom came both days to entertain Sadie so all I had to do was feed her. And between Julie (our sitter) and the Grandpa Jim/Grandma Rita combo, the boys were taken care of both days as well. On New Year’s Day, my dad practically locked himself in Sadie’s room to give it the artist’s touch. She definitely has a bedroom like no one else.

I don’t remember exactly when I got the idea for the theme for her room, but I do know it was before we “knew” we were having a boy. I was trying to think of something that was not pink, flowers, princess, or anything else that was “typical girl.” Nothing against those themes, but I wanted something no one else would have. So I came up with the idea of a picnic and even started searching for fabric, etc…and then found out we were having a boy. I didn’t think replacing Yankees with picnic for our third boy would have gone over too well with dad…but alas, we had a girl, so out with the baseball!!!
.
As you walk in...

Over the changing tableThe crib bumper is truly red; the lighting in the room is awful for the picture.All of the crib bumper sections had a basket, ant, lemonade, or watermelonMischievous antsLogan and Carter say the apple "looks good enough to eat."And, of course, the room wouldn't be complete without a pink Yankees cap

Now I need to figure out window coverings...I'm thinking "sunshine yellow" curtains.
.
So for a little irony to this story...Our house dropped off the market in November and we didn't bother relisting it yet because of having a baby, Christmas, slow market, etc. As Dad was finishing up his painting on Saturday, I joked and said our house would probably sell "tomorrow." And because the chaos of having Sadie's stuff all over our bed for the week was getting to me, I stayed up way too late Sunday night to put her room back together (outlet covers, putting drop cloths away, etc.). Ryan was out of town for work anyway. Wouldn't ya know it...our realtor calls at 6:30 Monday night and wanted to show our house on Tuesday. I told him that was NOT possible with our house still in ruins, 3 kids and Ryan out of town. Wouldn't be sooooo bad, but Miss Sadie seems to think midnight is an acceptable bedtime so I couldn't really accomplish any cleaning or putting away of Christmas stuff until after that. So, we scheduled the showing for Wednesday instead. Go figure.

1 comment:

BellaLovesPink said...

Um, hellooo, where are the pics of my niece?

SUPER cute idea, nicely done! Love the ants!