Monday, May 12, 2008

Happy Belated Mother's Day!

So this past week has been my first official week of "retirement" (as so many are calling it). So far, things don't really feel all that differently to me. I am definitely tired at the end of the day, but we kept pretty busy this week. I even managed to keep track of what day it was (although I don't expect this to last).


On Friday, we made gifts for the Alaskan grandmas...an envelope "basket" filled with artificial flowers (hand decorated, of course). We also made flowers from styrofoam cups by cutting strips towards the base and then baking them for 10 seconds; the boys LOVED watching them curl up.


Decorating the baskets.

Concentrate, concentrate.


Making styrofoam flowers for Mother's Day.


On Saturday, the boys, Grandma Rita and I went to the Kenai Air Show. Carter mostly walked around and looked at the planes, but would only go into one of them. Logan, however, spent a LOT of time in each plane. Naturally, being a type A first-born child, he had to ask what each and every button was for on the control panel. Thankfully, Grandma Rita got "stuck" with Logan and I ran around with Carter, so I was spared the aviation lesson.


Hopefully this is the only time Logan will ever be in a rescue basket.



Balloon man.


Carter on the summit of the "mountain".


The highlight of the whole airshow...playing in the dirt.



Rule #1: Be specific when instructing your children...I had asked him to "finish your hotdog." As a result, he DID....all in one bite!


Logan launching his rocket. He remembered this from last year , so it was a good thing they were doing it again.



Before & After Pics (it's tough playing so hard):



We've also been finishing up some things on our house...windowsills downstairs, trim, staining the fence, etc. The boys LOOOOOVE to "help" Daddy.

Daddy got a new sprayer for staining our fence. Naturally, we have to pump it up and try it out... on our face.

Finally, Sunday was Mother's Day. After church, we went to my parents' house and Rita joined us as Jim was working on the slope. The boys took a long nap. (Translation: all the Moms and Dads got to eat in peace!)

Aaah, yes. I am not the only one with the occassional urge to choke him!


Grandma Rita modeling her styrofoam corsage. Very stylish.

The boys proudly giving the grandmas their gifts.


It seems odd, but it was 5 years ago on Mother's Day that Ryan and I found out we were pregnant. How time flies...and how I am learning that my children bring out my strengths and weaknesses. I don't know what the next five years will bring, but I know I have a very understanding, loving and patient husband as well as two healthy and energetic boys. I am very blessed.


Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: